Why Does Gynecomastia Occur?
Whether you are a young man, just entering your early, pre-teenage years, or an adult in the midst of their 30’s or 40’s, gynecomastia is something a large number of individuals within either of your age ranges will have to deal with. As one of the most common conditions affecting both adult men and young pre-teens, gynecomastia is a condition in which males will experience the swelling of unwanted breast and nipple tissue. According to Dr. Richard Swift, MD, the best gynecomastia specialist NYC has to offer, although breast tissue does not develop in men or boys, as it does in women and girls – all boys ar e born with a small amount of breast tissue no matter what. Men and boys are known to product a hormone known as testosterone, a sexual hormone that’s known to increase their growth as well as to give them more sexual maturity during the age of puberty, likewise, as testosterone grows in men and boys, another counter hormone that is produced in girls around the age of pinery is known as estrogen – providing the same sexual maturity in girls .
When boys go through puberty, or as a man begins to age, and begins producing less testosterone the hormonal balance in the man’s body changes. The fact is that both men and women produce some amount of estrogen and the same goes for testosterone. While it is usually supposed to be less, as a counter measure to the lack of testosterone production in the male body is the additional production of estrogen. Sometimes when that happens, a higher percentage of estrogen causes male breast tissue to swell. About half of adolescent boys and as many as two-thirds of men older than 50 will have this to some degree. According to Dr. Swift, considered to be the best gynecomastia specialist NYC has in practice, the fluctuation in hormone levels in men is a main reason for a number of different issues and not only can it cause a man to grow unwanted female breast tissue but it also contributes heavily to men being in a bad mood, and becoming upset over some of the simplest and mildest issues. This shorter fuse is a characteristic sign of an individual with severe hormonal fluctuations. The fact of the matter is that such hormone issues, while occurring as a result of age, will generally take quite a bit of time, and will occur slowly but surely over time. These issues can either cause hormonal issues in the short term – either getting better on their own, or with the help of medical intervention. Or in the long term, requiring either long term hormone therapy procedures or in the event of an individual simply getting too old, they might be a candidate for HRT – otherwise known as hormone replacement therapy. A legal means of using testosterone injections as an individual might age.
Here are some of the most common ways that hormone issues can occur.
· Injury or diseases that affect the testicles, which make testosterone. Either meaning the testicles may need to be removed or simply stop functioning to their maximum capacity. Can be treated with medical intervention depending upon what kind of issue it truly is.
· Thyroid Problems – Hormones from the thyroid control growth and sexual development in men and women, and therefore any issues with the thyroid may cause hormonal fluctuations.
· Obesity – The presence of too much body fat can cause loss of testosterone and addition of estrogen in its place.
· Cancers – Tumors within the lungs, pituitary gland, and/or the adrenal glands.
· The use of illegal drugs including anabolic steroids, marijuana, and heroin.
· Kidney Failure – As the kidney can no longer clean and filter your blood properly.
· Liver Disease
· Different Medications for Illnesses – Such as for heart disease, cancer, depression, ulcers and more.
The thing about such issues with hormones is that they are reversible in the majority of instances, you simply just have to reverse the lifestyle choices, or attempt to treat the conditions that might be causing and live a much healthier lifestyle with diet, exercise, and lots of sleep. For more information on gynecomastia issues, be sure to contact the Best Gynecomastia Specialist NYC has to offer, Dr. Richard Swift today.